1901 N. Douglas
The Epworth Methodist Church was completed by the addition of a new sanctuary to the main Epworth University building in 1926. The large columns in front of the church were once part of the original University building. Epworth Church was designated as a historical site by the Oklahoma City Historical Preservation Commission in 1973.
This is a one-and-one-half-story, weather board Queen-Anne house with a cross gabled composition roof. It has a full-facade porch with wood railing and massive tapered stuccoed piers, octagonal front right room with slightly flared roof hips (possibly added C. 1916), round gable windows, left side hipped dormer, fish scale shingles and diamond-pane windows on frontmost gable, 1/1 windows, wood door with large oval window, side lights, and a ridge chimney. A garage is right rear.
1907 N Kentucky
In 1906, Bishop Theophile Meerschaert petitioned the Holy See that the seat of the Bishop be moved from Guthrie, the Territorial Capitol, to Oklahoma City. The Meerschaert House was completed in 1907, and became the center of Catholic missionary activity for Indian Territory. This facility remains in constant service to the St. Francis of Assissi Parish, and some of the large meeting rooms were recently restored to their original elegant decor.
1901 NW 18th
After World War II, Father Edward Van der Grinton set out to build a beautiful parish church. The Indiana limestone used in its construction gives it a unique and appealing appearance. The interior is decorated with marble from the United States and Italy. Construction of the church was completed in 1949.
Weather Bureau Building
1923 N. Classen Blvd
Epworth University donated a tract of land to the United States Weather Bureau, and a weather observatory was completed in 1923. This building is currently owned, and beautifully maintained, by the Berry Law Firm, and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1978.
2036 NW 17th
Located on site C. 1925
This house may have been built elsewhere C. 1900. This is a two-story, vinyl-sided National Folk gabled-L house, on a corner lot, with a cross gabled composition roof of medium-high pitch, and gable returns. It is L-shaped, with a shed-roof porch inside the L. It has a tall front chimney and ridge chimney; windows are 4/1 or 5/1 with vertical upper panes; there is a flush door. The garage is right rear: weather board, accessed from side street.
The house first appears in the City Directory of 1926. When McKinley Place was platted in 1906, the Roman Catholic Church owned the entire block, and retained it into the 1920s. In 1922, the church sold this property and three adjacent lots to Nichols-Chandler Company, which replatted part of the block. This single lot was sold in June 1925 to Elizabeth Darcey, who borrowed $5600 in mortgages in November 1925; she retained the front house property until 1949.
1911 N Classen
The Victoria Building housed the Victoria theatre which opened july 4, 1928 and was built for $200,000. Admission was twenty-five cents for adults and ten cents for children.
The ad for the opening read “This magnificent new theatre...the first of it's kind in Oklahoma City...is truly a masterpiece in theatre construction. Its thoroughly new design and beautiful decorations will immediately win your admiration and praise. You will marvel at the $30,000 Robert Morton "Wonder" Pipe Organ with its echo chamber in the rear of the house...flooding the entire theatre with its wonder tone.”
The first move to be shown was the silent film “Three Sinners” staring Pola Negri.